Monday, June 10, 2013

Special Squash Casserole

Some of my FAVORITE things about this time of year are the yummy veggies that come from the gardens of friends and family who are more than happy to share their bounty. My yard isn't very conducive to planting my own garden (as much as I would LOVE to) due to having too many giant oak trees giving shade, so I am always grateful when a friend stops by or calls and says, "Do you guys eat squash? How about cucumbers?" or another friend opens her garden for me to pick whatever we can eat.  Maybe it's a Southern small-town thing but I absolutely love it.

Over the next couple of weeks I will be posting recipes that feature veggies that are in abundance during this time of year. Some are time-tested family favorites, others are ones that I have tried more recently and very much enjoyed. Today's recipe is a newer one that I have made several times and provides a different twist on the traditional squash casserole. Hope you enjoy!

2 lbs. yellow squash
1 onion
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 c. sour cream
1 stick butter
8 oz. Pepperidge Farm herb stuffing
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil squash until tender; Drain and mash.
Chop onion; saute in 1/2 stick butter until tender.
Add soup. sour cream, salt and pepper.
Melt remaining butter and stir into dressing crumbs.
Put 1/2 of dressing in bottom of lightly greased casserole dish.
Mix squash with soup mixture and pour over dressing.
Spread remaining 1/2 of dressing on top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment