Thursday, August 8, 2013

Etta's Molasses Sugar Cookies

This recipe was given to my mom by my Godmother over 20 years ago. She also called them "tea cakes" and I remember having them many times when we would visit her. My godmother was an elderly lady who was the perfect mix of Southern belle and John Wayne (I know, quite a combination but it's true! LOL) Anyway, these cookies are so delicious! I'm planning on making them to include in Christmas goodie packages this year (shh.... don't tell anyone! LOL) Hope you enjoy!

3/4 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. molasses
1 egg
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Melt shortening and cool.
Add sugar, molasses and egg. Mix well.
Combine flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
Add flour mixture to sugar mixture. Mix well. Dough will be very stiff.
Roll dough into small balls. Place on cookie sheet, about 1 inch apart.
Bake about 6-8 minutes.

Yield: About 5 dozen cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment