Monday, July 29, 2013

Mama's "Blonde Brownies"

When I think of my mama's cooking there are a few dishes that come to mind immediately, things she often took to potlucks or just family favorites. Today's recipe is one of those. I cannot count how many batches of these brownies she baked over the years! I have tried to make them a couple of times since she passed and though they turn out quite tasty, they still don't taste exactly like hers. Maybe she just put a little extra "Mama love " in when she baked them. That being said, I hope you enjoy this one and it becomes a classic favorite for you as well!

1 box light brown sugar
2 sticks butter
3 extra large eggs, room temperature
1 c. chopped pecans
3 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 1/2 c. self-rising flour

Melt butter.
Add box of brown sugar. Let cool for 30 minutes*.
Add eggs, one at a time, stirring in completely.
Add pecans and chocolate chips.
Gradually add flour.
Pour into 13 x 9" ungreased baking dish.
Put into cold oven**.
Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes, then turn oven temperature to 300 degrees and bake 20 minutes more.

* There's a note on Mama's recipe that says "It is very important to let the butter and brown sugar set for the full 30 minutes." - I guess she learned from experience what would happen if you don't!
** If you are like me, when you read the directions for baking something, the first thing you do is look at the oven temperature and preheat your oven, even if the directions don't tell you to do so. Well, DON'T do that with this recipe! I remember Mama drilling that into me many times when she made these - they have to start in a cold oven! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment