Monday, August 22, 2016

Chicken and Dumplings!!

At last I have conquered a dish that has eluded me for some time. I made it once, several years ago, and decided that maybe I just wasn't cut out to make it. Today that was proven wrong! And better yet, I was able to use my slow cooker!

You will notice that I use flour tortillas. One might think that any self-respecting Southern girl would roll the dumplings out from scratch like our grandmothers used to do, but this Southern girl said no. In fact, the tortilla idea came from a Southern lady who has done her share of making dumplings from scratch and she told me that once I made them this way I would be hooked. She was right. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 can chicken broth
1 soup can of water
Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
4 large flour tortillas (the size used for burritos)

Lightly salt the chicken breasts and place them in a slow cooker.
In a separate bowl combine soup, broth, water, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Pour over chicken breasts.
Cook on high for 4 1/2 hours.
Remove chicken from broth mix; Use two forks to shred chicken and then return it to broth mixture.
Cut tortillas into strips, 6-8 across and 4-5 lengthwise. Add strips to chicken mixture.
Cook on high for 1 1/2 hours.
Serve.




2 comments:

  1. Never once thought about using tortillas...how easy is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe how they turned out! My husband, however, wasn't a fan... He prefers "Northern-style" dumplings :-/. But these would make any Southerner happy on any given day :-).

      Delete