Thursday, February 21, 2013

Aunt Lois' Strawberry Cake

Several years ago, I told Mama that the only thing I wanted for Christmas was for her to write out some of her favorite recipes and family recipes by hand for me to include in my cookbook. She fussed because she never liked her handwriting (though everyone who has seen it can't understand why) and I absolutely insisted that it was all I wanted. Thankfully, I won that battle and got those recipes for Christmas just as promised. Now that she has passed away I am even MORE thankful for these treasures. This recipe was one of those hand-written recipes from Mama, and although I haven't tried to MAKE this one just yet, I do remember having it at Aunt Lois' house and it is delicious! Hope you enjoy!

Duncan Hines Butter Recipe yellow cake mix (we are a Duncan Hines family and would never THINK of using another brand LOL)
8-oz. cream cheese, softened
8-oz. Cool Whip
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 can strawberry pie filling

Prepare cake mix according to package directions and bake in 9 thin layers (using 8" round pans).

While cake layers are cooling, mix cream cheese, Cool Whip and sugar together.
After layers have completely cooled, assemble cake by layering cake, a thin layer of cream cheese mixture, a thin layer of strawberry filling. Repeat, being sure to use a little extra cream cheese mixture and strawberry filling on the top of your cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment