Saturday, February 9, 2013

Tina's 7-layer salad

I grew up singing in a Gospel group with my family. This meant that we sang for countless church homecoming services, which meant that we got to sample homemade treats by a lot of great home cooks (and a lot of not-so-great cooks, ha!) A standard dish that we saw at many of these feasts (keep in mind I grew up in the South,) was the classic 7-layer salad. Tina gave me this recipe and I have made it for family and gotten rave reviews. Hope you enjoy!

Chopped lettuce (approx. 1 extra-large head)
Red onion, chopped
Bell pepper, chopped (I like to use yellow peppers to add color)
1-2 stalks celery, chopped
1 pkg. frozen fancy peas
25-oz. jar Kraft mayonnaise
1/4 c. sugar or to taste
8-12 oz. fancy shredded cheddar cheese
Real bacon bits

In a trifle bowl or any clear, med.-to-large-sized bowl, layer the following:
Lettuce
Red onion
Bell pepper
Celery
Peas
Mayonnaise

Sprinkle an even layer of sugar over mayonnaise. Refrigerate overnight (very important).
Add cheese and bacon bits just before serving.





4 comments:

  1. fun! i'd forgotten about layered salads. that is most def a southern thing! -tanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL it sure is! I figure people on the West Coast and up North need to be reached with the gospel of Southern cooking! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had this before but did not know how to make it, thanks for putting it in here.

    ReplyDelete