Friday, February 8, 2013

Mama's Biscuits and Gravy

Everyone always thinks their mom or grandma makes the best biscuits. That is completely understandable. Well, this recipe has touches from my mom AND my granny, so you know it is bound to be good! I will give a disclaimer here, though: When Mom made biscuits they always turned out SO beautifully - they would have looked great on the cover of any cooking magazine. I haven't quite mastered the art of making them "pretty," in fact one of my favorite memories is Mom showing me how to make these and our laughing at my "ugly" biscuits! However, they do TASTE great and I guess that is what counts most, right?
Keep in mind that there are very few measurements here (again, that whole REAL chef thing), but I hope that doesn't discourage you from giving these a shot. Enjoy!

BISCUITS:
Slightly more than 1 c. buttermilk
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 pinches sugar
Self-rising flour

Combine first three ingredients, then add flour until desired consistency (should be fairly thick).

Spread more flour on a plate. Flour hands. Drop biscuit dough by tablespoonfuls onto flour, then roll dough in your hands to create biscuit. Place in small baking pan. Spread a little vegetable oil on top of each biscuit to make them brown nicely.

Bake at 475 degrees for approximately 20 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown on top.
Yield: 1 dozen


GRAVY:
Vegetable oil
Flour
Whole milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Cover bottom of skillet with vegetable oil. Add enough flour to soak up oil (this makes your roux, which is the thickening agent for the gravy.) Brown roux on medium heat. Add milk until desired consistency. Add salt and pepper. Reduce heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment