Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Susanne's Raspberry White Chocolate Scones

I haven't tried these yet but the recipe came from my friend Susanne and they sound absolutely heavenly! I will definitely be making these VERY soon!


1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/4 c. cold unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
2 large eggs
1/3 c. heavy cream
1/2 c. white chocolate chips
3/4 c. raspberries, cut in half or 1/2 c. frozen
optional: additional Tbsp. heavy cream and some coarse sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
Cut in the butter using two knives or a pastry blender. (One trick Susanne learned after trying the recipe twice is to freeze the butter and then grate it into the dry ingredients.She said it worked very well and she will be doing that from now on.)
Stir in the chocolate chips and raspberries. Set aside.
In another bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the heavy cream and whisk some more until fully combined.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the egg mixture in.
Use a rubber spatula to gently stir until just combined. It will be dry and crumbly and won't hold together well.
Turn out the dough onto a floured cutting board.
Using well-floured hands, pat the dough into an 8-in. circle, about 3/4-in. thick.
Use a pizza cutter to slice dough into 8 wedges. If some end up too large, cut them in half again.
The last time Susanne made them she wound up with 11 scones.
If desired, brush the tops of the scones with 1 Tbsp. heavy cream and sprinkle them with coarse sugar.
Transfer the wedges to the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned.
Serve immediately. These are also very good with fresh whipped or devonshire cream.

*These are best eaten within 2 days. Store leftovers in an airtight container.*

6 comments:

  1. I like the tip about freezing the butter, I msut admit I have never made scones, but this makes me want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that was a great tip as well! Looking forward to trying these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never made scones, but a girls tea party gave me the fearlessness I needed to attempt them. I am SO glad I did!

    I have only made this recipe with fresh berries. Whatever is in season or on sale at the time. Just be careful if you are grating the butter :) I killed one of my knuckles on my new box grater.

    I have also used blackberries in place of the raspberries. Also very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great - thanks for the tips!! I kinda need my knuckles in my line of work (as do you LOL) so I will be extra careful when grating the butter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been a few weeks, but thumb is slowly healing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes.... glad it's getting better!

    ReplyDelete